The Salk Institute is hosting the Jonas Salk 100th Birthday Global Health Symposium this Thursday.
Take a look at the impressive lineup here, and visit the Salk’s Salk 100 page for historic photos and videos. William Brody, president of the Salk Institute, will open the event, and Inder Verma, professor at Salk, will introduce the speakers.
- Vincent Racaniello of Columbia University will present on Poliovirus. Dr. Racaniello has interviewed Peter Salk for This Week in Virology, and he served as moderator for the CCNY Centenary Symposium, where he spoke on the utility of poliovirus in basic virological research.
Watch his interview with Peter Salk below:
- Gary Nabel of Sanofi will present “Addressing Viral Diversity: The Challenge of AIDS and Ebola Vaccines”.
- Rino Rappuoli of Novartis will present “Vaccines: Science, Health, Longevity and Wealth”. Dr. Rappuoli is Global Head of Vaccines Research at Novartis in Siena, Italy.
- Alfred Sommer (Bloomberg School of Public Health, Johns Hopkins University) will present “Global Health: A Personal, Peripatetic Perspective”.
- Paul Offit (University of Pennsylvania; Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia) will address The Cutter Incident. Dr. Offit was also a speaker at the NYU Centenary Symposium. He discussed the Philadelphia measles outbreak in 1991 for a panel on ethics and the anti-vaccine movement. Subsequently, he spoke on the rotavirus vaccine recall and the deleterious consequences of the seven-year gap in rotavirus inoculation. See Offit’s webpage here.
- Peter Salk (Jonas Salk Legacy Foundation) will offer closing remarks.
JSLF extends thanks to the speakers and participants at the Jonas Salk 100th Birthday Global Health Symposium and to the Salk Institute for Biological Studies for organizing and hosting this special event.
Image credit: images of Jonas Salk and of the Salk Institute are used courtesy of the Salk Institute.